From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 01:01:34
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> skribis:
2 > Usually use flags that are discouraged are intended mainly to solve
3 > limitations in how we express dependencies/etc. It isn't that we
4 > don't want users to use them, but more that in the future we might
5 > change how they work and they could go away, causing trouble for those
6 > who depend on them. Think of them as unintentionally-exposed private
7 > interfaces.
8
9 My view on this current problem is that, given -fno-stack-protector in
10 the make.conf works nearly everywhere, there isn’t a problem as far as
11 building the OS is concerned. As for a ‘user compiler’, this seems not
12 to be a serious change, either.
13
14 (An example of actually making life harder for a user are the
15 default-settings changes in Debian’s GNU linker. They make it harder
16 than with stock GNU to construct dynamic plugins.)