From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 22:47:28
1 On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:04:00 +0200
3 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> nossp seems to disable ssp on general. Still not
7 >> a good idea.
10 > I appreciate your concern but, all too often it seems, the notion
11 > of "not a good idea" becomes "not a good idea therefore it should
12 > be irrevocably disabled for everyone whether they want it or not."
15 Usually use flags that are discouraged are intended mainly to solve
16 limitations in how we express dependencies/etc. It isn't that we
17 don't want users to use them, but more that in the future we might
18 change how they work and they could go away, causing trouble for those
19 who depend on them. Think of them as unintentionally-exposed private
20 interfaces.
21
22 If there is something you want to do and there isn't a supported way
23 to do it, feel free to discuss/ suggest/ beg/ etc.
24
25 But, if you're told that doing something in a particular way isn't a
26 good idea, be sure you understand why before you do it anyway. :)
27
28 Rich