From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 13:37:25
1 Frank Peters posted on Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:01:33 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Anyway, I would like to get started early with wayland. Doing an
4 > "emerge -pv" for both wayland and weston (and also GTK+3 with wayland
5 > enabled) does not show any requirements that I do not already have or
6 > could easily accommodate, and I may install everything now just to see
7 > what's what.
8 >
9 > I don't expect any definitive answer and I realize that I will have to
10 > do my own research, but would doing this simple emerge process with
11 > wayland/weston/gtk+3 provide, right now, a representative version of the
12 > final wayland/weston product? Or is the current Gentoo implementation
13 > just an incomplete step toward the final wayland?
14
15 As someone who is quite interested in wayland but has not yet bothered to
16 try it myself...
17
18 AFAIK, wayland as a protocol is maturing nicely, and weston as a
19 reference implementation compositing manager is developing as well.
20 However, applications using them are and by definition must be a step
21 behind, in ordered to avoid the chicken and the egg problem -- the
22 libraries must be available and stable first, before apps can build on
23 them.
24
25 AFAIK THAT is at present the weak bit -- the protocol is reasonably
26 mature and the compositing manager is fast getting there, so you should
27 have a fairly stable DEVELOPER/LIBRARY level representation. But at the
28 APP level, a lot of what's there is still stub or incomplete
29 implementation/port, at various stages of functionality and completeness
30 depending on the individual app you are trying at that moment.
31
32 So if your interest is say 40% or more developer level interest, it's
33 probably worth doing today. OTOH, if it's more than say 60% end user
34 application level interest, unless you really do have the motivation to
35 try it and the time to kill, you may not find much particularly
36 interesting to play with at this point.
37
38 Meanwhile, while the intended audience is more the binary distro type
39 than the gentooer type, for a quick spin, try the (kubuntu based) Rebecca
40 Black LiveCD distro, as it ships as a pre-built image so there's no
41 building to worry about, and has apps like (IIRC) chromium, etc, already
42 ported/built/configured and runnable on wayland.
43
44 I'd suggest that as a good first step. If you find it mature and
45 interesting enough to bother further investigation, THEN go for the
46 gentoo wayland build. OTOH, if there's nothing interesting there to play
47 with, you haven't wasted too much time building it just to find that out.
48 =:^)
49
50 A quick google on rebecca black wayland...
51
52 https://www.google.com/search?q=%22rebecca+black%22+wayland
53
54 Of course there's youtube videos listed there too, if you want an even
55 more introductory first step. =:^) Just be sure you're looking at
56 something current, as one of the first videos in the results here is from
57 the kubuntu 12.10 era and that's obviously going to be quite dated
58 compared to current wayland/rbos. But I see another from July, 2013,
59 which isn't /too/ long ago -- that should hopefully do quite nicely in
60 terms of pre-burn evaluation, even if it's not the /absolute/ latest.
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman