From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 17:01:46
1 On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 07:11:05 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > * On the flip-side, it's worth noting that the wayland/weston devs and
6 > xorg devs are generally the same people. After wayland gets going, their
7 > focus is going to be almost entirely on it,
10 The X-Window system, which goes back to the 1980's, is probably overdue for
11 replacement, and I would certainly welcome a modernized overhaul of the
12 Linux graphics foundation. But I would also hate to see more "fascism" erupt
13 as we are seeing with the freedesktop project. It's too bad that Torvalds himself
14 could not oversee *all* of Linux/GNU development rather than just the kernel.
15
16 Anyway, I would like to get started early with wayland. Doing an "emerge -pv"
17 for both wayland and weston (and also GTK+3 with wayland enabled) does not show
18 any requirements that I do not already have or could easily accommodate, and I may
19 install everything now just to see what's what.
20
21 I don't expect any definitive answer and I realize that I will have to do my
22 own research, but would doing this simple emerge process with wayland/weston/gtk+3
23 provide, right now, a representative version of the final wayland/weston product?
24 Or is the current Gentoo implementation just an incomplete step toward the final
25 wayland?
26
27 Frank Peters