From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Virtualization/WinXP
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:01:27
1 On 01/26/2010 09:55 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > OK - with the new machine up and running well enough to do some
4 > work I really need to get some sort of virtualization going to see if
5 > I can get around the fact that XP cannot be installed on this machine.
6 > (at least not easily) I need to run TradeStation and I'd like to try
7 > under Linux but Wine is ABSOLUTELY not an option.
8 >
9 > I ran XP& TS on my older system (5 year old 3GHz AMD64) but it's
10 > been a long time since I tried it. The performance was just OK. I
11 > expect this machine may be acceptable.
12 >
13 > To anyone familiar with this subject a few questions:
14 >
15 > 1) If I go the VMWare route is it vmware-workstation that I want?
16
17 Yea, but the version in portage in a bit outdated. Current is 7.x while
18 portage has up to 6.5.
19
20 Note that workstation is not free (beer or otherwise.) VMWare Server is
21 free (beer), but last time I looked, it's not as good as Workstation.
22
23 VirtualBox is free (there's free beer version and free speech version too.)
24
25 All of the above are able to run XP, Vista and 7. VMWare Workstation is
26 the fastest (it runs the 64-bit version of Windows 7 at pretty much
27 native speed here; I can compare because I have W7 also installed for
28 real; I'm on a Gentoo/W7 dual boot system.)
31 > 2) Are there any prebuilt XP images that would save me the hassle of
32 > installing Win XP and just allow me to validate with my existing keys?
33
34 Illegally created ones, yes.
37 > Is this the purpose of vmware-player? (which doesn't seem to have
38 > fetch restrictions...)
39
40 VMWare Player is free (beer) is a cut-down version of Workstation. I
41 find it sucks because of the limited amount of configuration options and
42 crappy GUI.
45 > 3) In some ways the most important question is what are the Open
46 > Source alternatives and how easy are they to set up?
47
48 VirtualBox. Not as fast as VMWare, but should be fast enough.