From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Requesting advice on PIC and amd64
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:01:42
1 On Friday 21 October 2005 01:49, Bob Young wrote:
2 > I’m re-installing Gentoo64 yet-again on my dual Opteron box, this time I
3 > want to build with nptl and nptlonly use flags starting from stage1. ( <-
4 > I’ d welcome thoughts/opinions on this as well).
5 >
6 > In deciding on what other use flags I want, I noticed the pic flag, with
7 > it’ s accompanying warning of “Do not utilize this flag unless you know
8 > what you're doing.” So I figured I’d better do some research. I’ve read
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-guide.xml and
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-internals.xml. It seems that
11 > using PIC is primarily a security feature/enhancement. The box is a
12 > workstation, and has no public IP address, I’m more interested in
13 > performance than security, but if the PIC adds significant security without
14 > noticeably impacting performance on amd64, I’m wondering if adding the pic
15 > use flag in make.conf might be a good idea.
16
17 no it is not.
18 Almost all ebuilds, supporting the PIC flag, have it set, the rest should not
19 use it.
20 >From what I remember, PIC on binaries make them a lot slower (and there is a
21 reason nvidia does not use it for their libs.
24 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list