From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CUPS now failing with "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:52:59
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0803241822v267dcacl64108b01cf53b3b4@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:22:20 -0700:
4
5 >> Of course revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild lots and lots of stuff
6
7 I see you solved the original problem, but this bit worries me.
8
9 You used "of course", which makes it sound as if it's "natural" to you to
10 have revdep-rebuild want to rebuild "lots and lots of stuff". I can
11 assure you that's NOT the case here, and I don't believe it should EVER
12 be the NORMAL case on a well maintained Gentoo system. Once in a very
13 long time, there may be individual upgrade cases where it happens because
14 half the system depends on the upgraded library and the upgrade changed
15 the ABI, the upgrade to expat-2 I believe it was comes to mind, but once
16 that rebuild is done (and I'd say two weeks is plenty of time for that),
17 it should be months, likely years, before any more more than perhaps a
18 half dozen to a dozen packages (max) ever appear together at once on a
19 revdep-rebuild. I think it has been since that expat upgrade that I've
20 ever had a half dozen items listed at once in revdep-rebuild here, and I
21 even doubled that above, to a dozen, for those that run a bit sloppier
22 installation than I.
23
24 I'd recommend that people do a world upgrade every couple of weeks
25 minimum (noting that if you do it every week or every few days, you'll
26 have less to upgrade all at once), always do an etc-update (or equivalent
27 if using a different tool) after merging anything, just to be sure, and
28 do a revdep-rebuild also at least every couple weeks, again noting that
29 doing it more often means less stuff at once to worry about. That, plus
30 a regular (say once a month or so minimum) emerge --newuse, revdep-
31 rebuild, emerge --depclean, and another revdep-rebuild just to be sure
32 after the depclean, will help keep the system clean and well maintained,
33 and that "Of course revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild lots and lots of
34 stuff" problem should become a thing of the past. =8^)
35
36 Of course, don't forget the --pretend first, especially on --depclean,
37 but really on all the above, so you have some idea of what it's going to
38 do and can add packages to your world file or whatever if necessary. And
39 again, those are what I'd recommend as minimums. Remember that if you do
40 it more frequently, you have far less to deal with at once, making the
41 job far easier. =8^)
42
43 It's just that "revdep rebuild wants to rebuild lots and lots of stuff"
44 should be a very unusual event, not EVER an "of course" event If that's
45 NOT the case, if it HAS become an "of course" event, it's simply because
46 someone has been slacking. While it'll only mean minor stuff broken on a
47 day to day basis, sooner or later it'll catch up to you, either with a
48 compound failure so large it's difficult to recover from (a broken gcc
49 making it impossible to recompile anything to fix it, for instance, or a
50 broken python making it impossible to emerge anything), or with an old
51 and stale package you've forgotten about getting a security vuln that
52 someone takes advantage of, and you get cracked.
53
54 (Yeah, I know that some folks don't upgrade for six months or more at a
55 time... I never really understood why these folks bother to run Gentoo,
56 as at that point, it's likely going to be easier doing the binary
57 distribution update thing, with upgrades coming out about every six
58 months, than trying to do an upgrade a piece at a time on Gentoo, without
59 breaking anything vital in the process. Yes, it's possible to do six
60 month upgrades on Gentoo, just like it's possible to only install the
61 binary packages on the release and package media and never compile
62 anything, but it's really not /designed/ for that, and there are other
63 distributions that handle those usage cases rather better, so Gentoo's a
64 rather poor choice for them.)
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
72 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list