From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CUPS now failing with "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 04:45:33
1 Hi Duncan
2
3 On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
5 > 5bdc1c8b0803241822v267dcacl64108b01cf53b3b4@××××××××××.com, excerpted
6 > below, on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:22:20 -0700:
9 > >> Of course revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild lots and lots of stuff
10 >
11 > I see you solved the original problem, but this bit worries me.
12 >
13 > You used "of course", which makes it sound as if it's "natural" to you to
14 > have revdep-rebuild want to rebuild "lots and lots of stuff". I can
15 > assure you that's NOT the case here, and I don't believe it should EVER
16 > be the NORMAL case on a well maintained Gentoo system.
17
18 Well, my experience is a bit different than yours. I'm sure the way I
19 maintain my systems, reading between your lines, is almost certainly
20 more lax than you care for. I do an emerge -DuN system in general
21 about once a week, but emerge -DuN world isn't going to happen any
22 more often than once every 6-8 weeks here. I don't have time to deal
23 with the issues that come up with all this stuff to do it more than
24 maybe 5-6 times per year. Even that often is pushing it, but it's
25 about what I do.
26
27 In general I look at emerge -DuN world once a week and see what's up.
28 Typically I'll take one major app and let everything in its dependency
29 tree get updated, but not the complete system. If I'm lucky, when I do
30 finally get to the emerge -DuN world I've already done a major app, or
31 maybe Gnome, so there isn't all that much to do.
32
33 While I'm sure we probably have different ideas of 'lots and lots of
34 stuff' I'm pretty clear that it's generally too much for me to deal
35 with in one step. I have work to do here and the machine is busy. My
36 experience with revdep-rebuild is that it wants to build some old
37 things, but then these things have been removed from portage and it
38 cannot, so I have to start looking for solutions. That requires
39 reading and thinking so it gets put on the back burner.
40
41 The other reason I'll almost NEVER do a real emerge -DuN world is that
42 we use MythTV here. We have 5 machines that run Myth, either as front
43 ends or back ends. Unfortunately, with Myth if you update the server
44 you have to update every machine on the network which causes problems
45 for the family so I don't do it.
46
47 Now, it's also possible to start masking things to hide some of these
48 issues. I'll do that with something like Myth for 2-3 months, maybe
49 longer, and then finally have to spend a few days updating all the
50 machines.
51
52 revdep-rebuild today wanted to rebuild 16 apps. To me that's lots and
53 lots. Maybe not to you.
54
55 Thanks,
56 Mark