From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CUPS now failing with "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:05:43
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0803242145le54b0c9we8ba99a79c5c9f9@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:45:30 -0700:
4
5 > Well, my experience is a bit different than yours. I'm sure the way I
6 > maintain my systems, reading between your lines, is almost certainly
7 > more lax than you care for. I do an emerge -DuN system in general about
8 > once a week, but emerge -DuN world isn't going to happen any more often
9 > than once every 6-8 weeks here. I don't have time to deal with the
10 > issues that come up with all this stuff to do it more than maybe 5-6
11 > times per year. Even that often is pushing it, but it's about what I do.
12
13 Well, if you note, I didn't push the --deep (= -D). That'll save you
14 some, but at the expense of rather more pain (including a longer revdep-
15 rebuild list since you'll likely have every dependency on the library
16 listed by then, instead of just a couple) when you /do/ eventually update
17 those deep dependencies.
18
19 I'd say do the system once a week, do the world every couple weeks,
20 always do a revdep-rebuild after the world and keep your --depclean up to
21 date so the revdep-rebuild isn't rebuilding dependencies you don't even
22 need any more, but don't worry too much about --deep, especially on
23 primarily stable systems (like the myth boxes you mention).
24
25 Also, there's certainly less reason to worry about updates on machines
26 that don't do Internet and/or don't hold private data (as may be the case
27 with some of your myth boxes) anyway. Six weeks or two months is still
28 pushing it and may lead to a lot of pain when you /do/ upgrade such
29 internal boxes, but there's no urgency other than that.
30
31 > My experience with revdep-rebuild is that it wants to build some old
32 > things, but then these things have been removed from portage and it
33 > cannot, so I have to start looking for solutions. That requires reading
34 > and thinking so it gets put on the back burner.
35
36 That's really part of the pain of not upgrading frequently enough. As
37 such, it's avoidable. Upgrade before something is removed, and you won't
38 have that problem. Of course, there's a trade-off here between --deep
39 and this pain, as well. If you don't use --deep, you'll encounter this
40 problem relatively more frequently. However, it's a trade-off that's up
41 to you.
42
43 > The other reason I'll almost NEVER do a real emerge -DuN world is that
44 > we use MythTV here. We have 5 machines that run Myth, either as front
45 > ends or back ends. Unfortunately, with Myth if you update the server you
46 > have to update every machine on the network which causes problems for
47 > the family so I don't do it.
48
49 You have multiple machines. Are you making use of binary packages?
50 Assuming you use portage, FEATURES=buildpkg on your first upgraded
51 machine, with all machines set to use the same PKGDIR and using emerge
52 --usepkgonly (-K) on everything but the first one (at least where USE
53 flags are the same, and assuming compatible machine and instruction
54 types) should be a real boon to you.
55
56 IOW, if you are recompiling the package for each machine it's deployed
57 on, you are wasting way more time and energy on that than you are saving
58 by updating so infrequently. If it's possible to do the build once and
59 use it on multiple machines, it's very likely worth doing so, even if it
60 means modifying USE flags and CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS a bit so you /can/ use a
61 common binary. That could just make the upgrades on those myth machines
62 much less trouble for you.
63
64 Even if my "big" machine was amd64 and the others were x86, as just might
65 be your case, I'd still consider FEATURES=buildpkg, and either decide to
66 run the big machine at 32-bit, or run it 64-bit but with a 32-bit chroot,
67 so it could still could build the binaries for the others. (Of course,
68 for same machine arch, you could also run distcc if desired, but that's
69 getting to be less of an advantage as quad-core multi-gig memory machines
70 work their way into the mainline.)
71
72 > revdep-rebuild today wanted to rebuild 16 apps. To me that's lots and
73 > lots. Maybe not to you.
74
75 Well, I'd call that "lots", but not "lots and lots". =8^) "Lots and
76 lots" would to me start at say a couple dozen, so 24, maybe 30.
77 Certainly, a KDE upgrade, typically 90-120 packages on my machine, would
78 qualify for three "lots", tho I'd more likely term it "a hundredish"
79 packages.
80
81 Interesting how such words mean slightly different things to different
82 people, isn't it? =8^)
87 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
90 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list