From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Troubleshooting XComposite
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 14:17:22
1 2009/1/3 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>:
2 > On Samstag 03 Januar 2009, Beso wrote:
3 >> 2009/1/2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>:
4 >> > On Freitag 02 Januar 2009, Beso wrote:
5 >> >> 2009/1/1 Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>:
6 >> >> > Hi,
7 >> >> >
8 >> >> > When my hard-disk made suspicious noises recently, I decided to
9 >> >> > replace it - be safe rather than sorry - and use the opportunity to do
10 >> >> > a complete, fresh install of my system. The new system is up and
11 >> >> > running (OpenOffice troubles aside), with the added advantage that I
12 >> >> > finally managed to get to the most recent ATI binary driver version
13 >> >> > instead of that stone-age version that happened to not hang my system
14 >> >> > under the old setup.
15 >> >> >
16 >> >> > With the new driver, I want to use its AIGLX capabilities. However,
17 >> >> > I'm having trouble getting XComposite to work. I have it enabled in
18 >> >> > xorg.conf:
19 >> >> >
20 >> >> > Section "Extensions"
21 >> >> > Option "Composite" "Enable"
22 >> >> > EndSection
23 >> >>
24 >> >> you need also to enable damage and render extension in the extensions
25 >> >> section. here's what
26 >> >> ity should look like:
27 >> >
28 >> > NO
29 >> >
30 >> > he does not. In fact he does not have to enable anything of this.
31 >>
32 >> when i've last been with fglrx you would need to enable that manually or
33 >> they won't start. as i've said it has been about 6-8 months that i haven't
34 >> been using fglrx.
35 >>
36 >> > Here is a close to perfect xorg.conf, with composite/aiglx working:
37 >> >
38 >> > Section "ServerLayout"
39 >> > Identifier "Layout0"
40 >> > Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
41 >> > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
42 >> > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
43 >> > EndSection
44 >> >
45 >> > Section "Files"
46 >> > EndSection
47 >> >
48 >> > Section "Module"
49 >> > Load "evdev"
50 >> > Load "v4l"
51 >> > EndSection
52 >> >
53 >> > Section "InputDevice"
54 >> > Identifier "Mouse0"
55 >> > Driver "evdev"
56 >> > Option "CorePointer"
57 >> > Option "Name" "Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse"
58 >> > Option "evBits" "+1-2"
59 >> > Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
60 >> > Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
61 >> > EndSection
62 >>
63 >> this doesn't work anymore. for the use of evdev (2.0.5 if i remember
64 >> well) with new hal versions
65 >> you have to put these options inside
66 >> /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi or evedev would throw
67 >> out warnings and errors and the devices would not have full
68 >> functionality. the other option would
69 >> be to put the ignore flag inside xorg.conf. i don't see you having
70 >> this flag enabled and this
71 >> leads me to think that you're not using the 1.5.x xorg-server.
72 >
73 > hal:
74 > 0.5.11-r4
75 > evdev:
76 > 2.1.0
77 > xorg-server:
78 > 1.5.3
79 >
80 > and for some reasons I have full functionality.
81 >
82 well, i've had some issues with this new way of configuration and spent some
83 hours to fix up hal rules. either i have been very unlucky or you've been lucky.
86 >> here's what colin guthrie said about this functionality in a
87 >> discussion about xorg
88 >> allowing non hal devices inside xorg.conf on the xorg mailing list:
89 >>
90 >> Yes. Some platforms that Xorg is on do not support hal. But that said,
91 >> there are lots of things in Gnome/KDE that just don't work without HAL,
92 >> so more and more you will need it for correct operation. Is there any
93 >> reason you have a problem using hal?
94 >
95 > there are many reasons. Like hal breaking every version. hal config being a
96 > pain in the ass. keyboard with non us layouts are almost unusable with hal -
97 > except somebody hhacks a fdi together.
98 > In short: hal is a POS and forcing it down everybody's throat does not help.
99 >
100 well, this discussion went one long on the mailing list. i've been
101 following it a little
102 and i tend to agree with xorg devs: if there's one way of handling
103 devices outside
104 or the configuration and with something that just recognizes it and
105 automatically
106 plugs it on without the user to do anything is far better. i agree
107 that the layout config
108 isn't working, or at least not in a simple way (there has been a long
109 discussion about
110 this issue too on the mailing list), but you alreay know that the
111 keyboard config
112 is set to us by default at x login. setting the right layout in your
113 desktop env then
114 fixes localization inside the desktop environment.
117 >> At the moment, Xorg will automatically disabled kbd/mouse devices unless
118 >> you set the AllowEmptyInput flag in the server.
119 >
120 > not for me.
121 >
122 i've had to force it manually to have it loading the options. maybe
123 your's working
124 because you don't use the other particular settings that a driver
125 might have, like
126 synaptics touchpad gestures. well, again, either you've been lucky or i've been
127 unlucky. sometimes xorg is just doing strange things.
130 >> if you use xaa you'll also most probably will need also the
131 >> Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
132 >>
133 >> to eliminate xaa corruption on the screen. i don't know if this issue
134 >> has already
135 >
136 > there are no xaa corruption.
137 >
138 i'm glad to hear that the bug of the pixel corruption around the pointer and
139 around moving windows has been fixed. as i've said when i was still using
140 fglrx it had this corruption issue (sometimes also video was getting corrupted)
141 that i've had to set the removal of offscreen pixmaps to true. i know it was
142 happening mostly with igp boards, like the ones in laptops.
143
144 >> >>you'll also need to enable texturedrender in your device section to
145 >> >>enable the Xv. i've been not
146 >> >>using fglrx for some months now (the xf86-video-ati is quite enough
147 >> >>for my needs) and i don't
148 >> >>remember all the hacks that are available for fglrx driver. look at
149 >> >>the phoronix forums for more
150 >> >>detailed configuration infos about fglrx.
151 >> >
152 >> > no, he does not.
153 >>
154 >> what does he do not? to add configuration options or to see phoronix
155 >> forums?! is not very clear from your answer.
156 >
157 > he does not need to add that option. On installation the driver will put the
158 > right option into amdpcsdb - and everything there overrides xorg.conf.
159 >
160 so there's now an override in the amd personal configuration file. at the time
161 i've been using fglrx this file had just appeared. by the way, it
162 seems that this
163 file is being overwritten after each update. is it the one for the
164 permanent fglrx
165 configuration or is there another file for this? i think it's a little
166 stupid to
167 overwrite this file every time, removing old settings, so that the end user to
168 have to run again the amd config center.
171 dott. ing. beso