From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Troubleshooting XComposite
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:21:39
1 On Samstag 03 Januar 2009, Beso wrote:
2 > 2009/1/2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>:
3 > > On Freitag 02 Januar 2009, Beso wrote:
4 > >> 2009/1/1 Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>:
5 > >> > Hi,
6 > >> >
7 > >> > When my hard-disk made suspicious noises recently, I decided to
8 > >> > replace it - be safe rather than sorry - and use the opportunity to do
9 > >> > a complete, fresh install of my system. The new system is up and
10 > >> > running (OpenOffice troubles aside), with the added advantage that I
11 > >> > finally managed to get to the most recent ATI binary driver version
12 > >> > instead of that stone-age version that happened to not hang my system
13 > >> > under the old setup.
14 > >> >
15 > >> > With the new driver, I want to use its AIGLX capabilities. However,
16 > >> > I'm having trouble getting XComposite to work. I have it enabled in
17 > >> > xorg.conf:
18 > >> >
19 > >> > Section "Extensions"
20 > >> > Option "Composite" "Enable"
21 > >> > EndSection
22 > >>
23 > >> you need also to enable damage and render extension in the extensions
24 > >> section. here's what
25 > >> ity should look like:
26 > >
27 > > NO
28 > >
29 > > he does not. In fact he does not have to enable anything of this.
30 >
31 > when i've last been with fglrx you would need to enable that manually or
32 > they won't start. as i've said it has been about 6-8 months that i haven't
33 > been using fglrx.
34 >
35 > > Here is a close to perfect xorg.conf, with composite/aiglx working:
36 > >
37 > > Section "ServerLayout"
38 > > Identifier "Layout0"
39 > > Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
40 > > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
41 > > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
42 > > EndSection
43 > >
44 > > Section "Files"
45 > > EndSection
46 > >
47 > > Section "Module"
48 > > Load "evdev"
49 > > Load "v4l"
50 > > EndSection
51 > >
52 > > Section "InputDevice"
53 > > Identifier "Mouse0"
54 > > Driver "evdev"
55 > > Option "CorePointer"
56 > > Option "Name" "Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse"
57 > > Option "evBits" "+1-2"
58 > > Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
59 > > Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
60 > > EndSection
61 >
62 > this doesn't work anymore. for the use of evdev (2.0.5 if i remember
63 > well) with new hal versions
64 > you have to put these options inside
65 > /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi or evedev would throw
66 > out warnings and errors and the devices would not have full
67 > functionality. the other option would
68 > be to put the ignore flag inside xorg.conf. i don't see you having
69 > this flag enabled and this
70 > leads me to think that you're not using the 1.5.x xorg-server.
71
72 hal:
73 0.5.11-r4
74 evdev:
75 2.1.0
76 xorg-server:
77 1.5.3
78
79 and for some reasons I have full functionality.
82 > here's what colin guthrie said about this functionality in a
83 > discussion about xorg
84 > allowing non hal devices inside xorg.conf on the xorg mailing list:
85 >
86 > Yes. Some platforms that Xorg is on do not support hal. But that said,
87 > there are lots of things in Gnome/KDE that just don't work without HAL,
88 > so more and more you will need it for correct operation. Is there any
89 > reason you have a problem using hal?
90
91 there are many reasons. Like hal breaking every version. hal config being a
92 pain in the ass. keyboard with non us layouts are almost unusable with hal -
93 except somebody hhacks a fdi together.
94 In short: hal is a POS and forcing it down everybody's throat does not help.
97 > At the moment, Xorg will automatically disabled kbd/mouse devices unless
98 > you set the AllowEmptyInput flag in the server.
99
100 not for me.
103 > if you use xaa you'll also most probably will need also the
104 > Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
105 >
106 > to eliminate xaa corruption on the screen. i don't know if this issue
107 > has already
108
109 there are no xaa corruption.
110
111 > >>you'll also need to enable texturedrender in your device section to
112 > >>enable the Xv. i've been not
113 > >>using fglrx for some months now (the xf86-video-ati is quite enough
114 > >>for my needs) and i don't
115 > >>remember all the hacks that are available for fglrx driver. look at
116 > >>the phoronix forums for more
117 > >>detailed configuration infos about fglrx.
118 > >
119 > > no, he does not.
120 >
121 > what does he do not? to add configuration options or to see phoronix
122 > forums?! is not very clear from your answer.
123
124 he does not need to add that option. On installation the driver will put the
125 right option into amdpcsdb - and everything there overrides xorg.conf.