From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Troubleshooting XComposite
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 12:27:30
1 2009/1/2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>:
2 > On Freitag 02 Januar 2009, Beso wrote:
3 >> 2009/1/1 Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>:
4 >> > Hi,
5 >> >
6 >> > When my hard-disk made suspicious noises recently, I decided to replace
7 >> > it - be safe rather than sorry - and use the opportunity to do a
8 >> > complete, fresh install of my system. The new system is up and running
9 >> > (OpenOffice troubles aside), with the added advantage that I finally
10 >> > managed to get to the most recent ATI binary driver version instead of
11 >> > that stone-age version that happened to not hang my system under the old
12 >> > setup.
13 >> >
14 >> > With the new driver, I want to use its AIGLX capabilities. However, I'm
15 >> > having trouble getting XComposite to work. I have it enabled in
16 >> > xorg.conf:
17 >> >
18 >> > Section "Extensions"
19 >> > Option "Composite" "Enable"
20 >> > EndSection
21 >>
22 >> you need also to enable damage and render extension in the extensions
23 >> section. here's what
24 >> ity should look like:
25 >
26 > NO
27 >
28 > he does not. In fact he does not have to enable anything of this.
29 >
30 when i've last been with fglrx you would need to enable that manually or
31 they won't start. as i've said it has been about 6-8 months that i haven't
32 been using fglrx.
33
34 > Here is a close to perfect xorg.conf, with composite/aiglx working:
35 >
36 > Section "ServerLayout"
37 > Identifier "Layout0"
38 > Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
39 > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
40 > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
41 > EndSection
42 >
43 > Section "Files"
44 > EndSection
45 >
46 > Section "Module"
47 > Load "evdev"
48 > Load "v4l"
49 > EndSection
50 >
51 > Section "InputDevice"
52 > Identifier "Mouse0"
53 > Driver "evdev"
54 > Option "CorePointer"
55 > Option "Name" "Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse"
56 > Option "evBits" "+1-2"
57 > Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
58 > Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
59 > EndSection
60 >
61 this doesn't work anymore. for the use of evdev (2.0.5 if i remember
62 well) with new hal versions
63 you have to put these options inside
64 /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi or evedev would throw
65 out warnings and errors and the devices would not have full
66 functionality. the other option would
67 be to put the ignore flag inside xorg.conf. i don't see you having
68 this flag enabled and this
69 leads me to think that you're not using the 1.5.x xorg-server.
70
71 here's what colin guthrie said about this functionality in a
72 discussion about xorg
73 allowing non hal devices inside xorg.conf on the xorg mailing list:
74
75 Yes. Some platforms that Xorg is on do not support hal. But that said,
76 there are lots of things in Gnome/KDE that just don't work without HAL,
77 so more and more you will need it for correct operation. Is there any
78 reason you have a problem using hal?
79
80 At the moment, Xorg will automatically disabled kbd/mouse devices unless
81 you set the AllowEmptyInput flag in the server.
82
83 From the man page:
84
85 Option "AllowEmptyInput" "boolean"
86 If enabled, don't add the standard keyboard and mouse
87 drivers, if there are no input devices in the config file. Enabled by
88 default if AutoAddDevices and AutoEnableDe‐
89 vices is enabled, otherwise disabled. If AllowEmptyInput
90 is on, devices using the kbd or mouse driver are ignored.
91
92 > Section "Device"
93 > Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
94 > Driver "fglrx"
95 > BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
96 > EndSection
97 >
98 if you use xaa you'll also most probably will need also the
99 Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
100
101 to eliminate xaa corruption on the screen. i don't know if this issue
102 has already
103 been removed from fglrx driver, but on my boards when i've been still using it
104 i've always had this problem.
105
106 >>you'll also need to enable texturedrender in your device section to
107 >>enable the Xv. i've been not
108 >>using fglrx for some months now (the xf86-video-ati is quite enough
109 >>for my needs) and i don't
110 >>remember all the hacks that are available for fglrx driver. look at
111 >>the phoronix forums for more
112 >>detailed configuration infos about fglrx.
113 >
114 > no, he does not.
115 >
116 what does he do not? to add configuration options or to see phoronix forums?!
117 is not very clear from your answer.
120 dott. ing. beso