From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: FAT tools, where ?
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:01:03
1 On 12/5/2009 4:35 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > So FWIW, your "small" 8 gig partition for boot-time compatibility
3 > purposes is sort of already built into the GPT/EFI spec. That would
4 > contain all you needed to boot the kernel, and if you chose not to build
5 > them into your kernels, your ntfs and other kernel modules would be
6 > loaded from /boot as standard initramfs/initrd, if necessary, or from the
7 > standard/lib/modules/<kern-ver> subdir, if not necessary to load /.
8
9 Booting was one of my least concern (it's a portable external harddisk,
10 I don't need an OS in there), I use the FAT partition to store NTFS
11 drivers (source and precompiled) for systems that don't already have
12 NTFS-3G installed and where internet is scarce or compiler is
13 unavailable (e.g. Gentoo LiveCD or Macs) since the rest of my external
14 harddisk is formatted as NTFS.
15
16 These systems are often not my own (a friend's Macbook) or is volatile
17 (e.g. Gentoo LiveCD, which can only read NTFS). The 8G is small compared
18 to the external's size (120G), but big enough to transfer a
19 single-layer-DVD worth of data if I need to (once I salvaged data from a
20 broken Windows NTFS filesystem with Gentoo LiveCD to the FAT partition).