From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: FAT tools, where ?
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 22:02:31
1 On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 06:17:42 +1100
2 Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Booting was one of my least concern (it's a portable external harddisk,
6 > I don't need an OS in there), I use the FAT partition to store NTFS
7 > drivers (source and precompiled) for systems that don't already have
8 > NTFS-3G installed and where internet is scarce or compiler is
9 > unavailable (e.g. Gentoo LiveCD or Macs) since the rest of my external
10 > harddisk is formatted as NTFS.
13 That's the beauty of Open Source. Commercial development would have
14 killed off FAT because of its low popularity, but Open Source maintains
15 FAT capability because it is something that *should* be available, if
16 only to allow some small group to tinker with ancient systems.
17
18 Hopefully Gentoo will continue this philosophy of keeping things
19 alive whether or not they represent the mainstream. I sometimes
20 prefer to use older tools. For example, I still use Lilo to boot
21 my machines. Fortunately Lilo is still a part of the portage tree
22 and, IMO, should not be removed simply because Grub is more popular.
23
24 Once Open Source, and Gentoo, begins to cater exclusively to the
25 latest software fashions, it will, again IMO, no longer be worth
26 using.
27
28 Frank Peters