From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:27:39
1 On 10/24/06, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 24 October 2006 01:58, Richard Fish wrote:
3 >
4 > > I use dar and USB2 disks for my backups. Faster, cheaper, and with
5 > > more capacity than most tape drives.
6 >
7 > I hadn't spotted dar before. Can you explain the use of the dar32 and dar64
8 > USE flags? The use.desc description doesn't help much.
9
10 By default dar uses an arbitrary-precision integer implementation to
11 handle archives of basically any size. But it takes more memory and
12 CPU cycles to use, so you can compile dar with dar32 or dar64 to use
13 32-bit or 64-bit integers in place of the infinint. If you use dar32,
14 you cannot create or restore from any archive larger than 4G, or
15 backup files larger than 4G, etc.
16
17 I personally use dar64, as that *easily* handles all my data.
18
19 http://dar.linux.free.fr/doc/Limitations.html
20
21 -Richard