From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] mount ext3 with ext4 driver
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 18:24:23
1 On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I have my ext3 mounted using ext4 driver, but I don't notice anything
5 > better or worse. The on-disk structures are the same, obviously, so
6 > any improvement would be the difference between how ext4 driver
7 > handles the ext3 data in a different way (dealloc and mballoc, as that
8 > wiki page says).
9 >
10 > To really gain any improvement you'd need to use the new on-disk
11 > format, which the tune2fs stuff will do for any NEW files, but all
12 > existing files will still be old. You'd probably be better off making
13 > a backup, formatting as ext4, then restoring backup.
14 >
15 > However, with that being said, I used a freshly-formatted ext4 in my
16 > laptop and still don't notice any difference compared to when it had
17 > ext3.
20 Thank you all for your thoughts/experiences. I concluded that I just
21 shouldn't use the ext4 driver or convert my filesystem. I just
22 re-installed my notebook with Ubuntu 9.04 and choose ext4. Don't
23 really measure a difference, but I rarely use that machine.
24
25 BTW, my apologies for the HTML posting!
26
27 Martin