From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] mount ext3 with ext4 driver
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 23:53:56
1 On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl> wrote:
2 >
3 > After reading this:
4 >
5 > http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4
6 >
7 > do you have any experience with mounting your ext3 filesystems using the
8 > ext4 module? Is the performance improvement noticeable?
9
10 I have my ext3 mounted using ext4 driver, but I don't notice anything
11 better or worse. The on-disk structures are the same, obviously, so
12 any improvement would be the difference between how ext4 driver
13 handles the ext3 data in a different way (dealloc and mballoc, as that
14 wiki page says).
15
16 To really gain any improvement you'd need to use the new on-disk
17 format, which the tune2fs stuff will do for any NEW files, but all
18 existing files will still be old. You'd probably be better off making
19 a backup, formatting as ext4, then restoring backup.
20
21 However, with that being said, I used a freshly-formatted ext4 in my
22 laptop and still don't notice any difference compared to when it had
23 ext3.