From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Enabling debug info in Wine?
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:54:36
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0803070921xbc44366we4b3d6b3d9615bfd@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:21:51 -0800:
4
5 > I'm not finding confcache or anything that's the obvious right choice on
6 > that one. I'll emerge ccache though.
7
8 Yeah... confcache was an experiment that has been shelved for the time
9 being. It was designed to cache the results of various config tests
10 repeated for many/most ebuilds, only dumping the cache and letting them
11 retest from scratch when required (if something in the build system, say
12 gcc or whatever, changed). The problem was that a number of packages put
13 bad data in the cache/database, but compiled fine themselves, thereby
14 leaving the bad data to be found by the next package that tried a test
15 with the same data. Since this might be the first package after or the
16 100th, it was difficult to figure out where the bad data was coming from
17 in ordered to fix it. The result was basically packages failing because
18 they got a bad config, with no easy way to trace it, so they just masked
19 confcache.
20
21 Advanced users can still use it if they want, using package.unmask (they
22 may need to find an ebuild too, as I'm not sure whether it's still in
23 portage but masked, or not even there now, but it's available in the
24 archives if necessary), but they have to be prepared to manually dump the
25 confcache database and try again if problems appear. I ran it for
26 awhile, but after my upgrade to dual dual-cores, decided the machine was
27 fast enough at running the configs that it wasn't worth the hassle any
28 more, so I turned off the feature and unmerged the confcache package.
29
30 For people who'd prefer to have portage "just work" with the least
31 hassle, even if it takes a bit longer on some packages, confcache is
32 definitely something you want to leave alone, at least for now. Maybe
33 someday...
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
41 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list