From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Watch out for dhcpcd-2.0.4
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:06:22
Rudmer van Dijk posted <200604081930.36350.rudmer.van.dijk@××××××.nl>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:30:36 +0200:

> I synced this morning and amongst the updates was dhcpcd-2.0.4 > just now I rebooted my machine and I couldn't get an ip-address from my > cable-modem... reverting to dhcpcd-2.0.3 solved my problem. > > I re-emerged dhcpcd-2.0.4 before reverting to the previous version and I > couldn't see any compile errors...
What version of baselayout are you running? Are you on ~arch there also, and have baselayout-1.12.0_pre17 (or better, I haven't synced today)?
>From the baselayout changelog:
*baselayout-1.12.0_pre17 (07 Apr 2006) 07 Apr 2006; Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> +baselayout-1.12.0_pre17.ebuild: New release - load of changes! Quick summary. resolv.conf management punted to resolvconf-gentoo net modules helpers.d punted - means you'll probably need ~ARCH of your dhcp client udev coldplug support. BTW, that means you should probably be running an updated udev as well, particularly if you run coldplug, as it's integrated in udev now (and consequently blocks the separate package coldplug). Be sure you've etc-updated everything, too, as between the three updates, there are enough changes to break your system in a variety of ways, if you haven't updated the config to work with the new packages. There /are/ quite a few changes, and some of them change the files in /etc enough that failing to do appropriately merge the changes /will/ break things! As for dhcpcd itself, I too have it merged, but don't use it under normal circumstances, as I run a static IP behind a rather old router. The dhcpcd and a few other packages are there only as backup, in the hopefully unlikely event I have to go back to dialup on short enough notice I don't have time to grab the sources and merge them before I lose broadband, or in case the router gives up the ghost and I can't get a new one right away for some reason. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Watch out for dhcpcd-2.0.4 Rudmer van Dijk <rudmer.van.dijk@××××××.nl>