From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Tracking down dependencies - x11-proto/printproto x11-apps/xdpyinfo
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 03:19:06
1 On 2/24/07, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 February 2007 00:49, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
3 > [snip: good info re: making a dependency optional]
4 > Also, make that, when the use flag is disabled, the package refuses to link
5 > against xprintproto. Otherwise, you can have a situation where xprintproto
6 > is unmerged by --depclean, but xdpyinfo is using it dispite the -xprint USE
7 > flag.
8 > E.g.
9 > xprintproto is merged as a dependency of X
10 > xdpyinfo is merged (-xprint), but finds the appropriate header and links
11 > against xprintproto.
12 > X is removed.
13 > emerge --depclean thinks it can remove xprintproto, since xdpyinfo doesn't
14 > depend on it, despite being linked against it.
15
16 Okay, I don't understand enough about how USE flags modify compilation.
17 e.g. x11-apps/xdpyinfo xdpyinfo.c (the only source file)
18 has
19 #ifdef INCLUDE_XPRINT_SUPPORT
20 #include <X11/extensions/Print.h>
21 #endif /* INCLUDE_XPRINT_SUPPORT */
22 yet this is defined by
23 # if HAVE_X11_EXTENSIONS_PRINT_H
24 # define INCLUDE_XPRINT_SUPPORT
25 # endif
26 earlier in the program.
27 It may be because xdpyinfo doesn't have proper xprint conditionality
28 that it wasn't made
29 conditional in the ebuild.
30
31 Anyway good point with depclean, I have 2 other packages depending on
32 printproto:
33 x11-libs/libXp-1.0.0 XpNotifyPdm.c uses printproto, and its not conditional
34 x11-libs/openmotif uses printproto in 3 includes, unconditionally
35 so the change to xdpyinfo doesn't get rid of printproto.
36
37 > If the package comes with a testsuite, make sure to run that against both
38 > the
39 > old and new versions and hopefully you get similar results.
40
41 Not that I can see, I'll remember.
42
43 > *DO* give your emerge --info, although it may not seem relevant.
44 > *DO* make the bug as a feature request, and set it's priority
45 > appropriately.
46 Yeah, I'll include the source code snippets to.
47 xdpyinfo has some other dependencies, I'm going to check them as well,
48 just for 'fun'. :)
49
50 Actually xdpyinfo also depends on libXp and that explains why
51 printproto is unconditional,
52 I would have to go through it, and any others, and make printing
53 optional on xprint.
54
55 Hmm, I might shelve this until I understand how USE flags work, as I
56 have no idea how to implement conditionality with USE/configure.
57 --
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list