From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Tracking down dependencies - x11-proto/printproto x11-apps/xdpyinfo
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:51:31
1 On Saturday 24 February 2007 00:49, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
2
3 [snip: good info re: making a dependency optional]
4
5 Also, make that, when the use flag is disabled, the package refuses to link
6 against xprintproto. Otherwise, you can have a situation where xprintproto
7 is unmerged by --depclean, but xdpyinfo is using it dispite the -xprint USE
8 flag.
9
10 E.g.
11 xprintproto is merged as a dependency of X
12 xdpyinfo is merged (-xprint), but finds the appropriate header and links
13 against xprintproto.
14 X is removed.
15 emerge --depclean thinks it can remove xprintproto, since xdpyinfo doesn't
16 depend on it, despite being linked against it.
17
18 > The compile was clean, the baseline/regression test (rudimentary) worked
19 > well.
20
21 If the package comes with a testsuite, make sure to run that against both
22 the
23 old and new versions and hopefully you get similar results.
24
25 > So my question is: is this enough to submit as a bug/feature request?
26
27 Absolutely. I've seen feature requests with much less info that eventually
28 found a sympathetic developer.
29
30 > I ask because I've submitted quite a few bugs and gotten unpolite
32 > looked like the dumb user I'm tring not to be.
33
34 Unpolite responses "just happen". The developers and bug-wrangler don't
35 act
36 with a single mind, so the unpolite ones aren't "checked" by the polite
37 ones.
38 In any case, I think you've done most of the work, so it shouldn't be too
39 hard to get your feature-request approved.
40
41 *DO* give your emerge --info, although it may not seem relevant.
42 *DO* make the bug as a feature request, and set it's priority
43 appropriately.
46 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
47 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
48 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
49 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
50 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!