From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:10:33
1 Peter Davoust, mused, then expounded:
2 > Now if you call that being silly, then that's your
3 > choice, but it's my choice if I want to be cautious, even overly so.
6 Computers are routinely tested at the design stage to run full load
7 from a temperature range of 0F to 120F. If you're concerned about heat,
8 insure there is at least 1" of air space between the bottom of the
9 case and the surface it's on - prop it up. It'll be fine.
10
11 > On that note, I did buck up and run memtest86+ from a Ubuntu livecd,
12 > and after several loops (about 1h 30 min of straight testing) I didn't
13 > get a single error. It was on Test #6 when I stopped, so I think the
14 > memory's chill.
15
16 Memtest will only find bit errors. It's not able to test much other
17 than that. It's pretty poor at finding memory problems that exist at
18 the bonderies of the dimm. The easist way to do that is, if it's
19 possible on your laptop, is to swap the dimms. If the problem moves
20 or occurs much, much sooner, then it's a dimm issue. If it doesn't
21 change, then run only one dimm at a time and try again. That would
22 eliminate the memory as the cause of the problem.
23
24 > Besides, as I said before, when I run anything GUI
25 > (enlightement, right now), it's fine. I just have to jump in and out
26 > of terminal really quickly. The fact that it likes to crash after
27 > starting x server twice makes me think I might have a few damaged
28 > portions on my harddrive. Does that sound about right? Of course, that
29 > sounds like it could be a kernel issue too. If I can figure out how to
30 > "downgrade" my kernel, maybe that will solve it.
33 No it sounds like a flakey Gfx driver. Try running a later or earlier
34 driver, if it's an nvidia or ati. If it's not then you'll need to try
35 a different version of Xorg.
36
37 And if it is a third party driver, try running just the 2D Xorg variant
38 and see if the issue still occurs.
39
40 Also, it would help us a bit if the specs of your laptop - chipset, etc.
41 were given.
42
43 And FWIW - our corp spam filter thinks your email may be spam. So there
44 still seems to be a formatting issue.
45
46 Thanks,
47
48 Bob