From: Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:51:56
1 Now wait a minute, not everyone has $100k to spend on a brand new
2 laptop. I'm a student, and I have a single computer to last me through
3 two years of highschool and and at least a few years of college, and
4 there's no way I'm going to screw up my computer without some
5 insurance, ok? Before I run anything on this machine, I'm going to
6 make sure that I'm still under warrantee, whether the parts are user
7 servicable or not. Now if you call that being silly, then that's your
8 choice, but it's my choice if I want to be cautious, even overly so.
9
10 On that note, I did buck up and run memtest86+ from a Ubuntu livecd,
11 and after several loops (about 1h 30 min of straight testing) I didn't
12 get a single error. It was on Test #6 when I stopped, so I think the
13 memory's chill. Besides, as I said before, when I run anything GUI
14 (enlightement, right now), it's fine. I just have to jump in and out
15 of terminal really quickly. The fact that it likes to crash after
16 starting x server twice makes me think I might have a few damaged
17 portions on my harddrive. Does that sound about right? Of course, that
18 sounds like it could be a kernel issue too. If I can figure out how to
19 "downgrade" my kernel, maybe that will solve it.
20
21 I just clicked the "<<plain text" button and the setting has held for
22 this entire thread. Come to think of it, I may have actually converted
23 it back to Rich Text a few weeks back.
24
25 -Peter
26