From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:43:40
1 flockmock@×××.at posted 200904092105.19617.flockmock@×××.at, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:05:19 +0200:
3
4 >> Regardless, most firmware RAIDs can be
5 >> configured JBOD and run with the more standard md/mdp kernel RAID
6 >> anyway.
9 > this is only true for raids with the old 0.90 superblock, when creating
10 > a raid system with a superblock =>1, you need a initramfs/initrd,
11 > because autodetect will not work. to quote the mdadm man page:
12 > "In-kernel autodetect is not recommended for new installations"
13
14 While I don't believe it's recommended, if I wasn't misreading recently,
15 I saw something saying support for kernel autodetecting (or at least
16 specifying the devices on the commandline) on the new superblocks now
17 worked. However, it's likely very new support, 2.6.28, maybe 2.6.29. I
18 do know there has been a lot of work on the md/mdp stuff lately, with
19 support for changing a RAID-5 into a RAID-6 just added (or was that
20 online RAID 5>6), for example.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman