From: flockmock@×××.at
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 19:05:22
1 On Thursday 09 April 2009 20:36:37 Duncan wrote:
2 > Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> posted
3 > 49DE4433.3010701@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Thu, 09 Apr 2009
4 >
5 > 20:53:39 +0200:
6 > > I need initramfs to be able to boot from RAID. Same for LVM.
7 >
8 > Yes, for LVM, no, for RAID, at least md/mdp kernel RAID. DM based
9 > firmware RAID is different, and not something I'd trust /my/ system to.
10 > Does it need userspace setup? Regardless, most firmware RAIDs can be
11 > configured JBOD and run with the more standard md/mdp kernel RAID anyway.
14 this is only true for raids with the old 0.90 superblock, when creating a raid
15 system with a superblock =>1, you need a initramfs/initrd, because autodetect
16 will not work. to quote the mdadm man page:
17 "In-kernel autodetect is not recommended for new installations"