From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:37:18
1 Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> posted
2 49DE4433.3010701@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Thu, 09 Apr 2009
3 20:53:39 +0200:
4
5 > I need initramfs to be able to boot from RAID. Same for LVM.
6
7 Yes, for LVM, no, for RAID, at least md/mdp kernel RAID. DM based
8 firmware RAID is different, and not something I'd trust /my/ system to.
9 Does it need userspace setup? Regardless, most firmware RAIDs can be
10 configured JBOD and run with the more standard md/mdp kernel RAID anyway.
11
12 I run my root on partitioned mdp kernel RAID without an initramfs, so
13 it's definitely possible. But I deliberately kept root out of the LVM
14 since it requires userspace config and therefore an initramfs/initrd.
15 /home, etc (not /etc), are on lvm, but I can boot the main system for
16 troubleshooting purposes, without lvm.
17
18 > It is also useful for uvesafb. Uvesafb driver is finally the one that
19 > gives me nice high res even in console, but it needs v86d, which has to
20 > be compiled against the particular kernel that will use it.
21
22 user-vesa-framebuffer, I take it? FWIW, I'm running radeonfb here. But
23 before it, I was running a very small font on vgacon. It worked
24 reasonably well, tho radeonfb is certainly more flexible.
25
26 But what I'm really looking forward to is kms, kernel-based-modesetting,
27 getting it out of X, so the kernel handles it all. Intel has it in
28 2.6.29. Radeon has/had it, but it's using the old ttm (? IIRC that's the
29 abbreviation, GEM's the new one) and will need reworked but hopefully
30 later this year. What the status is on others, I really don't know.
31
32 > This is the reason I use two-part initramfs:
33 >
34 > - first is bundled within kernel
35 > - second gets loaded by grub
36
37 That's a really interesting idea. =:^) I'm sure others use it too, but
38 this is the first time I've read of it.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman