From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:54:26
1 Duncan wrote:
2 >
3 > No initramfs seriously decomplicates things.
4 >
5 > But who am I to say? It's your system, not mine. It's worth considering
6 > tho.
10 I need initramfs to be able to boot from RAID. Same for LVM.
11
12 It is also useful for uvesafb. Uvesafb driver is finally the one that
13 gives me nice high res even in console, but it needs v86d, which has to
14 be compiled against the particular kernel that will use it.
15
16 This is the reason I use two-part initramfs:
17
18 - first is bundled within kernel and contains only a few kernel
19 specifics bits ( modules, v86d)
20
21 -second gets loaded by grub and contains everything else for assembling
22 raids and, checking filesystems etc.
23
24 I didn't have the time to do it the RightWay(TM), so I made the script
25 that reads the list of packages, untarbzips it into some_dir, adds init
26 and some preprocessed system files ( /etc/fstab etc). some_dir is then
27 cpio'ed into "initrd" file, which is copied into /boot.