From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:36:19
1 flockmock@×××.at posted 200904091859.12109.flockmock@×××.at, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:59:11 +0200:
3
4 > thanks for the answer, i'm already running grub-0.97-r9. perhaps it is
5 > time to switch back to good old lilo, or to play with grub2 ;)
6
7 I don't know then. Did you check the bugs mentioned in the changelog? I
8 think at least one of them was a size bug. It may or may not apply.
9
10 The other possible alternative might be to consider whether you actually
11 need that initramfs or not. Often, you won't, provided you build the
12 appropriate modules into the kernel and/or use an appropriate kernel
13 command line. One exception is root on lvm2, since that requires
14 userspace. However, here, while I run both kernel md/mdp RAID and LVM2,
15 I deliberately kept my root filesystem off of LVM, thus avoiding an
16 initramfs. root is on RAID (mdp), but that can be assembled by the
17 kernel directly, using parameters fed to it at the commandline (or since
18 2.6.28 IIRC, as compiled in command line parameters).
19
20 No initramfs seriously decomplicates things.
21
22 But who am I to say? It's your system, not mine. It's worth considering
23 tho.
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman