From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:51:37
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Yes, for LVM, no, for RAID, at least md/mdp kernel RAID.
4 In theory, yes. In practice, it is unpredictable and flakey.
5 I lost more than a day with a system that used to be able to
6 autoassemble the RAID in kernel and boot it and then simply "changed its
7 mind" and no matter what I did, it wouldn't boot from RAID.
8 No available diagnostics is another hamper, since dmesg can tell you
9 little about what exactly went wrong.
10
11 In all those cases starting RAID manually went fine.
12
13 It is nice to be able to use initramfs as some sort for
14 backpack/first-aid-kit/MCGuyver's_toolshed when all else fails.
15
16 It isn't always simple to boot from another media, especially if you
17 need that particular kernel etc.
18
19 That's why initramfs is cool. If the system is in good enough shape for
20 grub to grab kernel and initrd, it can run diagnostics and maybe offer
21 some fundamental services ( like named,dhcpd, routing, firewalling etc).
25 > user-vesa-framebuffer, I take it? FWIW, I'm running radeonfb here. But
26 > before it, I was running a very small font on vgacon. It worked
27 > reasonably well, tho radeonfb is certainly more flexible.
30 Well, I have nVidia and have _never_ seen any card on which rivafb
31 works. vesafb did work on some older cards, but not on 8800GT ( which is
32 getting into age also). So uvesafb is only thing that works for me, at
33 least until nvidia unifies linux driver or something like it...