From: The Doctor <drwho@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:01:51
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 >> I need initramfs to be able to boot from RAID. Same for LVM.
4 >
5 > Yes, for LVM, no, for RAID, at least md/mdp kernel RAID. DM based
6 > firmware RAID is different, and not something I'd trust /my/ system to.
7
8 Is there all that much of a difference between setting up the kernel's
9 softRAID drivers to interface with onboard pseudo-RAID and just setting
10 up softRAID?
11
12 > I run my root on partitioned mdp kernel RAID without an initramfs, so
13 > it's definitely possible. But I deliberately kept root out of the LVM
14 > since it requires userspace config and therefore an initramfs/initrd.
15 > /home, etc (not /etc), are on lvm, but I can boot the main system for
16 > troubleshooting purposes, without lvm.
17
18 That's how I have some of my servers set up, too. The only initramfs
19 used is the teeny (empty?) one that comes with the kernel source tree.
23 The Doctor [412/724/301/703]
24
25 PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
26 WWW: http://drwho.virtadpt.net/
27
28 "Awk," sed grep.