From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub and maximum kernel file size
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:33:59
1 The Doctor <drwho@××××××××.net> posted 49DF66D1.50306@××××××××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:33:37 -0400:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >
6 >>> I need initramfs to be able to boot from RAID. Same for LVM.
7 >>
8 >> Yes, for LVM, no, for RAID, at least md/mdp kernel RAID. DM based
9 >> firmware RAID is different, and not something I'd trust /my/ system to.
10 >
11 > Is there all that much of a difference between setting up the kernel's
12 > softRAID drivers to interface with onboard pseudo-RAID and just setting
13 > up softRAID?
14
15 The main difference is likely to be in the testing of the code-paths.
16 The kernel's md/mdp RAID is run by many people in all sorts of scenarios
17 worldwide, has been for years, and as a result is HEAVILY tested code
18 (with some BIG enterprise money behind it as well). While the DM-based
19 RAID gets probably reasonably close equivalent testing on the general DM
20 stuff because it's fairly generic and is used for LVM (also BIG
21 enterprise money behind it) among other things, the code that reads and
22 implements the BIOS/firmware side is going to get MUCH less use and
23 testing, and may in some cases be one-off code specific to that
24 firmware. There's nothing wrong with that, after all, various other
25 drivers are one-off code for various stuff, but the level of testing is
26 certainly lower, and we ARE talking about data on devices people have
27 presumably invested extra on in ordered to get redundancy and/or speed,
28 thus, data they likely value relatively highly.
29
30 The DM-RAID also tends to be somewhat less flexible.
31
32 But one of the reasons I prefer generic soft-RAID here (either non-
33 firmware generic DM-RAID or MD-RAID) is that in a hardware controller/
34 mobo failure situation, the implementation is generic. I can take my
35 drives and plug them into any generic SATA controller and read them.
36 While the kernels I have are built with the specific SATA chipset drivers
37 I need, in a recovery situation I could load a LiveCD or build a kernel
38 with the new SATA drivers on other equipment and load it onto a
39 thumbdrive to access the disks, then transfer a kernel with the necessary
40 new drivers onto the disks, after which I could boot them directly.
41
42 The firmware pseudo-RAID configured drives lack that data recovery
43 flexibility -- you find a compatible firmware RAID or forget it. (Well,
44 you can of course pay big money to the forensic data recovery folks to
45 try to get it back.) No plugging the drives into any generic SATA
46 chipset to read them.
47
48 Actually, one of the BIOS updates on my current Tyan mobo emphasized
49 this. It warned that the onboard (firmware) RAID wasn't compatible
50 between the two BIOS versions... FOR THE SAME HARDWARE! Those who had
51 been using it were warned to backup their data elsewhere and restore it
52 after the BIOS upgrade, as the RAID implementation wasn't compatible
53 across the upgrade.
54
55 OTOH, I believe that in at least some cases, the firmware RAID
56 implementation is cross-compatible Windows/Linux, something that the
57 generic kernel MD- or DM-RAID will NOT be. It may be that the BSDs have
58 firmware compatible RAID implementations as well, tho I wouldn't know.
59 Of course, before counting on this, one would be advised to test it.
64 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman