From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: X.Org troubles
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 06:26:01
1 Andrei Korolyov <xdel@×××××.ru> posted 459BFB6E.8050907@×××××.ru,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:52:30 +0300:
3
4 > System crashes if any opengl application stopped (in gui or SIGTERM). The
5 > console printed, if active terminal is ttyv[1-6], register dump from
6 > kthreads, process, etc... simular problem also have at reboot with started
7 > X - after message "remounting all fs readonly" i have a kernel panic
8 > ("aiee, killing interrupt handler"). After making many changes in useflags
9 > and kernel config this trouble isn`t solved... Any ideas? (at 32bit
10 > distribution all works without troubles :) )
11
12 A number of points:
13
14 1) Don't hijack threads. You replied to a firefox thread with this
15 totally unrelated item. If you are going to start a new subject, start a
16 new thread with a NEW message, don't reply to an old thread with a REPLY
17 message. Some people's clients actually thread messages according to the
18 references headers, and replying to a message means it (and its upthread)
19 are in the references header regardless of what you put in the subject.
20
21 2) You mention in a later reply that you are using nvidia proprietaryware
22 (aka slaveryware, see my sig) drivers. I couldn't legally run such
23 software (where EULAs are considered legal, at least), since I can't agree
24 to the EULAs, even if I wanted to run them, and as I believe folks'
25 willingness to run such things only delays the availability of fully
26 functional freedomware solutions, I won't run them except possibly
27 in the interest of reverse engineering them. Thus, the degree to which I
28 and those like me can help will be rather limited. None-the-less...
29
30 3) It would seem your OpenGL is screwed up. I'd suggest you have a look
31 at eselect opengl <tab>, and see what your options are, then play with
32 them a bit. My guess is that you may be somehow stuck with a half-way
33 NVidia-slaveryware implementation and a halfway native/freedomware
34 xorg/mesa implementation. If you toggle it to the xorg/mesa
35 implementation, then to the slaveryware implementation, it may start
36 working once again.
37
38 4) (3) assumes that you used the Gentoo ebuild to install the slaveryware.
39 If you installed the NVidia stuff direct, you will have issues because it
40 doesn't understand the eselect switching mechanism Gentoo uses. That
41 /will/ result in a mixed up system, one of the ways the screwup above
42 could occur in the first place. You'll have to try uninstalling the
43 direct/manual install if possible, then try to merge the Gentoo package,
44 which will hopefully straighten things out. If it doesn't, there are
45 additional steps you can try manually, but it's not something I've done
46 since I won't do slaveryware, and thus am not familiar with them enough to
47 try to explain (tho I've seen folks post that they eventually got it
48 working). Ultimately, it may be that you'll need to backup your /home and
49 /etc settings and try a new stage-X install. If you have been running
50 FEATURES=buildpkg, it won't be that difficult and you should be back up
51 and running with a recustomized system fairly quickly. You can try
52 quickpkg to package up an existing system, but it might package up the
53 screwups too, so it's not so clear a solution.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list