From: Andrei Korolyov <xdel@×××××.ru>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: X.Org troubles
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 08:53:04
1 > A number of points:
2 >
3 > 1) Don't hijack threads. You replied to a firefox thread with this
4 > totally unrelated item. If you are going to start a new subject, start a
5 > new thread with a NEW message, don't reply to an old thread with a REPLY
6 > message. Some people's clients actually thread messages according to the
7 > references headers, and replying to a message means it (and its upthread)
8 > are in the references header regardless of what you put in the subject.
9 >
10 > 2) You mention in a later reply that you are using nvidia proprietaryware
11 > (aka slaveryware, see my sig) drivers. I couldn't legally run such
12 > software (where EULAs are considered legal, at least), since I can't agree
13 > to the EULAs, even if I wanted to run them, and as I believe folks'
14 > willingness to run such things only delays the availability of fully
15 > functional freedomware solutions, I won't run them except possibly
16 > in the interest of reverse engineering them. Thus, the degree to which I
17 > and those like me can help will be rather limited. None-the-less...
18 >
19 > 3) It would seem your OpenGL is screwed up. I'd suggest you have a look
20 > at eselect opengl <tab>, and see what your options are, then play with
21 > them a bit. My guess is that you may be somehow stuck with a half-way
22 > NVidia-slaveryware implementation and a halfway native/freedomware
23 > xorg/mesa implementation. If you toggle it to the xorg/mesa
24 > implementation, then to the slaveryware implementation, it may start
25 > working once again.
26 >
27 > 4) (3) assumes that you used the Gentoo ebuild to install the slaveryware.
28 > If you installed the NVidia stuff direct, you will have issues because it
29 > doesn't understand the eselect switching mechanism Gentoo uses. That
30 > /will/ result in a mixed up system, one of the ways the screwup above
31 > could occur in the first place. You'll have to try uninstalling the
32 > direct/manual install if possible, then try to merge the Gentoo package,
33 > which will hopefully straighten things out. If it doesn't, there are
34 > additional steps you can try manually, but it's not something I've done
35 > since I won't do slaveryware, and thus am not familiar with them enough to
36 > try to explain (tho I've seen folks post that they eventually got it
37 > working). Ultimately, it may be that you'll need to backup your /home and
38 > /etc settings and try a new stage-X install. If you have been running
39 > FEATURES=buildpkg, it won't be that difficult and you should be back up
40 > and running with a recustomized system fairly quickly. You can try
41 > quickpkg to package up an existing system, but it might package up the
42 > screwups too, so it's not so clear a solution.
46 Thanks for corrections.
47
48 I`ll been used portage-based NVidia driver when i solve system crash.
49 All actions which you tell will been maked without result many times
50 later :(
51 --
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list