From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: X.Org troubles
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:51:54
1 Andrei Korolyov <xdel@×××××.ru> posted 459CBF18.5080208@×××××.ru,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:47:20 +0300:
3
4 > I`ll been used portage-based NVidia driver when i solve system crash.
5 > All actions which you tell will been maked without result many times
6 > later :(
7
8 Well then, there's little more I can suggest, maybe others. I assume
9 you rebuild your nvidia drivers after every kernel upgrade, right? (If
10 you've done the other, probably so, but never hurts to be sure.) Have you
11 tried reverting to an earlier kernel, say 2.6.18.whatever rather than
12 2.6.19, or even the 2.6.16 series (which continues to be maintained and
13 updated for security fixes and the like)? There are known
14 incompatibilities between some of the later xorg versions and certain
15 nvidia drivers, but I'm afraid I don't keep up on what works with what.
16 Others running the drivers should at minimum be able to confirm known
17 working combinations of xorg/kernel/nvidia, and of course the version(s)
18 of gcc used to compile them, and possibly glibc and linux-headers as well.
19 (FWIW, I've had issues with glibc-2.5, but they shouldn't be related to any
20 of this, but glibc is such a basic system library it's always a
21 possibility.)
22
23 Good luck. Despite my disagreement with slaveryware software choices,
24 it's distressing to me when I see someone with a problem with something as
25 essential as video drivers, and I can't do anything to help. When my
26 system isn't working correctly, something's just not right in my world,
27 and I seriously empathize with anyone in the same situation, regardless of
28 what they choose to run (even MSWormOS, tho I don't get involved with that
29 much anymore as my knowledge on the subject, at W98 vintage, is getting
30 very dated).
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list