From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: system broken?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:57:18
1 On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Well, you can, but not directly.
4 >
5 > Surely you have an emergency boot method, either (like me) a backup root
6 > partition that you snapshot from your working one periodically when you
7 > know the system's working pretty smoothly (which means you've rebooted
8 > since your last merges so you know you can), or a LiveCD of some sort,
9 > maybe a Gentoo LiveCD, maybe something else, that you can boot to and
10 > mount your broken system partitions from? That's the basis from which to
11 > start. If you don't have such an emergency boot solution, how do you
12 > expect to recover in the event you have a broken boot?
13 >
14 > When I had a problem with glibc and needed to downgrade, I simply stuck
15 > the appropriate root=/dev/whatever on the kernel command line from grub,
16 > and booted to my backup root partition. The way I'm setup, that gives me
17 > the exact working system I had at that point, and can mount either my
18 > normal or backup /home and other data partitions, so I'm still fully
19 > operational. I was able to mount my my normal root from the backup,
20 > along with my packages partition, then set ROOT= to point to the normal
21 > working partition, and emerge -K an appropriate binpkged glibc over top
22 > of the broken one. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about it as I'd
23 > never used portage's ROOT= setting before, and after all this is glibc
24 > we're talking about, but it worked fine, and I was then able to reboot
25 > back into my normal root again.
26 >
27 > Another alternative as long as glibc isn't so broken you can't run
28 > anything, is to hand-edit the ebuild to kill the downgrade blocker bit of
29 > the script.
30 >
31 > Finally, as posted elsewhere, it's also possible to start with a stage
32 > tarball once again as a known good starting point, then emerge --
33 > emptytree @system to get back to a current system. This is sort of the
34 > equivalent of an OS reinstall on other OSs/distributions and it works
35 > quite well. Of course, it helps if you make a backup of your /etc before
36 > you do it, so you can quickly recover overwritten config files.
37 >
38 > So there's ways to downgrade glibc. You just have to be smarter than the
39 > child-safety-locks portage has in place to prevent you from doing it
40 > inadvertently and breaking a system further, as doing so after remerging
41 > a bunch of packages thus linking them to the new glibc might do. But if
42 > you have a backup to operate from if necessary, you don't have to worry
43 > so much about breaking a system which is probably already partially
44 > broken or you'd not be having to worry about downgrading glibc.
45
46 Well, this is why I actually love Linux: you still have control over
47 your system, no matter what happened. But.. the downside is that you
48 need to know how things work :-) For the moment, I have chosen the
49 most easiest way:
50
51 sys-apps/portage
52 app-admin/eselect-news
53 app-admin/eselect
54
55 added to package.keywords. That went smooth and everything seems to
56 work again (altough it adds the number of masked packages, which is a
57 risk). But.. I should now keep an eye on the development of glibc and
58 portage (etc.) packages so I can get back to the stable tree again?
59 Can it take months before gcc 4.3 and glibc 2.8 are stable?
60
61 Martin