From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: system broken?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:23:50
1 "Martin Herrman" <martin@×××××××.nl> posted
2 40bb8d3b0812101053u74e0bda7q887e375eb2fcd78c@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:53:01 +0100:
4
5 > For the moment, I have chosen the most easiest way:
6 >
7 > sys-apps/portage
8 > app-admin/eselect-news
9 > app-admin/eselect
10 >
11 > added to package.keywords.
12
13 Note that you may wish to use a complete package atom, including version,
14 ~cat-egory/package-0.1.2 for instance, to include all -r revisions but no
15 other versions, when you keyword, or =cat-egory/package-0.1*, to incluse
16 0.1.1, 0.1.2, etc, but not 0.2.0. That way portage won't try to
17 automatically upgrade you to ~arch forever, only for that version.
18
19 > That went smooth and everything seems to work
20 > again (altough it adds the number of masked packages, which is a risk).
21 > But.. I should now keep an eye on the development of glibc and portage
22 > (etc.) packages so I can get back to the stable tree again? Can it take
23 > months before gcc 4.3 and glibc 2.8 are stable?
24
25 You'd have to ask toolchain or keep watch on the related bugs to see
26 their comments, but in general, such toolchain packages can't stabilize
27 until everything can either compile with them (ebuilds apply patches so
28 it works), or in some cases, has other ebuild workarounds (in the worst
29 cases, the ebuild may test for a version of gcc and die, telling the user
30 it can't use that version, but that's for instance for cruft that won't
31 compile with any gcc4 version at all, say). Then all those working
32 ebuilds must themselves go stable, which is a minimum 30 day process in
33 most cases. So indeed, it can takes months to stabilize such things.
34
35 That said, I've had no problems with gcc-4.3.2 for some time now, tho
36 part of that may be patches that are bugged but that I'm carrying locally
37 -- they haven't been applied to the ebuilds yet, and where they are,
38 those ebuilds may not be stable themselves yet, since I run all ~arch.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman