From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Obligatory KDE4 question.
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:31:47
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 47D921FE.6030809@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu, 13 Mar 2008
3 08:45:50 -0400:
4
5 > I swear I think I missed the threads on KDE4 after it was released. I'm
6 > sure by now at least some people are using it, so how is it on amd64? I
7 > know it's buggy and all that, but is it functional? Are there any
8 > showstoppers you've seen?
9 >
10 > I'd like to throw it on my dev box, but I'm not sure I want to spend a
11 > lot of time mucking with compiling it if it's not at least somewhat
12 > usable.
13
14 Well... I've been compiling KDE-svn from the overlay for some months, but
15 unfortunately hadn't really had any time to decently test it until this
16 last week. Because I was doing the SVN version, it was more crashy but
17 more featureful than the current 4.0.x release will ever be.
18
19 Here, after actually getting a bit of time to test what I had been
20 compiling, I gave up. Due to lack of what I consider necessary features,
21 it's simply not worth any more of my time until at /least/ pre-4.1.x
22 feature-freeze, and at this point, honestly, it could easily be pre-4.2.x
23 feature-freeze.
24
25 Individual applications may have a bit of eye candy and be worth running,
26 but the desktop as a whole isn't, at least not for "power users" like me
27 that tend to use the powerful customization and productivity elements of
28 the mature KDE-3.5 desktop such as multiple panels and personalized
29 hotkeys and colors. Huge swaths of GUI customization simply isn't there
30 or doesn't work as originally advertised that KDE-4 would work. True,
31 users that are as comfortable configuring text files as clicking a button
32 or dragging a slider can already configure a lot of that stuff manually,
33 but what's the point of spending time in a GUI if you can't even
34 configure itself with itself? (That BTW is one of the points I've
35 brought up against GNOME any number of times, advanced GUI config can
36 only be done by editing text files, or worse yet for those of us who
37 still have MS nightmares from time to time, registry edits.)
38
39 Granted, there's the bit of limited functionality there that GNOME style
40 users who prefer NOT to have advanced GUI config options to worry about
41 (either because they configure them manually or because they just accept
42 the defaults) should appreciate -- they may in fact /love/ it -- but for
43 those KDE-3 users who've grown to love its GUI tweakability, there's a
44 LONG way to go yet before KDE-4 gets even close, let alone has all the
45 fancy new KDE-4 features we were sold as worth the long wait. It may
46 indeed ultimately be worth the wait, I certainly hope and expect so, but
47 if so, that wait isn't over yet.
48
49 So put simply, I recommend staying put with KDE 3.5.9, for now. There
50 will be time enough to try out KDE 4 after 4.1 comes out this (northern
51 hemisphere) summer, or 4.2, early next year I'd guess. Right now, the
52 rumors saying it's little more than a developer's preview and base on
53 which to build are all too true.
54
55 As an example... remember all the talk about plasma and the ability it
56 was supposed to have to move apps seamlessly from floating to panel to
57 desktop and back again? Well, desktop to panel sort of works, but
58 there's no way to move stuff around in the panel at all without deleting
59 it and re-adding it, let alone back to the desktop, and there's no hint
60 of the formerly promised moving between a floating app and either the
61 desktop or panel. That, coupled with the fact that there's no way to
62 create additional panels, and on dual-head displays, the panel can
63 apparently move to any side -- of ONE head -- it can't move to another
64 head at all, means the desktop is essentially useless for me with my five
65 separate panels each with separate functions and configuration on KDE-3.
66 It was nice to be able to move applets from the panel to the desktop and
67 I tried using that as a bit of a workaround, but it's not the same, and
68 there then seems to be no way to remove the panel. Further, even just
69 being able to set the size of the panel at all is a feature brand new to
70 KDE-4.0.2, and not much older in SVN-trunk.
71
72 As I said, there's a LONG way to go! No way could I recommend it at
73 present, except for those (like myself) that simply have to see for
74 themselves, and have the time and the energy to do so. It'll be nice
75 when it gets there, but it's not there yet.
80 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
83 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list