From: Jos van Gisbergen <jos@××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] exec format errors
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:44:43
1 Marco Matthies wrote:
2 > Jos van Gisbergen wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm trying to install gentoo on my athlon 3800+ x2 system, using
5 >> stage3-amd64*
6 >> but when I reach the "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" point I get the error
7 >> message "bash: exec format error". It seems *all* binaries on
8 >> /mnt/gentoo/bin
9 >> are not executable. Should I use x86 instead of amd64? It seems
10 >> illogical.
13 > My guess is that you are using the x86 livecd. Exec format error usually
14 > means the execve system call used to run your program returned ENOEXEC,
15 > meaning the kernel did not recognize your executable format.
16
17 Yes, most probably I have the x86 livecd -- I can't check now
18 because I'm not behind my home box. But I'm going to try an amd64
19 boot disc.
22 Thanks,
25 Jos
28 > Check the executable with `file /bin/bash` to see for which arch the
29 > executable is and check which arch your kernel was compiled for `uname
30 > -m`. On my system the output is as follows:
31 >
32 > $ file /bin/bash
33 > /bin/bash: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
34 > GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
35 > 2.4.1, stripped
36 >
37 > $ uname -m
38 > x86_64
39 >
40 > Normally problems using chroot arise through library problems (when
41 > attempting to run dynamically linked programs), when the new root you
42 > want to change to doesn't have the libraries your (dynamically linked)
43 > program needs. The way to fix this is to run `ldd /bin/bash`, look at
44 > the output and make sure that these libs are available under the new root.
45 >
46 > Marco
50 Jos van Gisbergen
51 Sagantec Netherlands