From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:15:14
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >>Are there any flags in /proc/cpuinfo that show this? The processors is
3 >>a 4 year old AMD64. Likely or not?
4 >
5 > Check your bios. If your CPU+board support it, there will be an option
6 > to enable-disable it.
7 > A 4year old AMD64, something like athlon3000+ ? (which is what I've got)
8 > probably won't have it.
9 >
10 > But I'm not sure that you'll need it. I don't use vmware for
11 > virtualisation, I've messed with virtualbox which works ok and is very
12 > easy to setup, but prefer qemu.Both perform ok, even without 'hardware
13 > virtualisation' features.
14 >
15 > I guess you'll just have to go by trial and error, especially when
16 > you're depending on using stuff like hardware-dongles.
17 >
18 > Tom
22 So far I don't see anything obvious in BIOS. I don't see the flag that
23 Paul thought was the right one although the flag 'vme' is interesting
24 if for no other reason than it's close to the right initials:.
25
26 mark@lightning ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags
27 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
28 pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
29 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni lahf_lm
30 mark@lightning ~ $
31
32 The hardware dongle thing isn't a big deal. I don't use the program
33 much anymore. If it's not supported it's no big deal, but I'll
34 certainly check it out. I think the issue with it is you have to
35 install some special driver software to make it work and I'm assuming
36 that's not supported at all in virtualization, unless possibly I make
37 my own Windows image that has it installed or something like that.
38 Again, no big deal.
39
40 The motherboard is an Asus A8N-E.
41
42 http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=171&l4=0&model=455&modelmenu=1
43
44 The motherboard supports a dual core processor but it's a 939 socket.
45 I can't find one of those listed on NewEgg so it might not be possible
46 to upgrade the just the processor anymore. The Athlon 64 X2 processors
47 aren't very expensive anymore. The highest price was $89. I probably
48 paid $250-$300 4 years ago. I love technology! (I used to work for
49 AMD)
50
51 Last, for now - is it the server or the workstation I need to emerge?
52 (Or both?) I need to go read about what they do. Where does my XP
53 image come from? Do I install Windows myself, like we did on the old
54 Win4Lin product?
55
56 Thanks much,
57 Mark