From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] *big* printing problem
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:01:29
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Thierry de Coulon" <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
3 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 11:54 AM
5 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] *big* printing problem
8 > I'm getting nuts: I've installed gentoo-amd64, compiled a kernel with
9 > parallel
10 > port support (I tried both as module and compiled into the kernel),
11 > emerged
12 > cups, but I can't print:
13 >
14 > I can define printers both in cups (localhost:631) and the KDE control
15 > center...
16 > I can print to these printers...
17 > I can see the jobs in the job manager...
18 >
19 > ... but nothing ever comes out of the printer! I tried attaching it to
20 > usb:
21 > same thing. I know it should work because it does under Mepis (same
22 > printer,
23 > same port, same cable), so I would say I am missing "some piece" between
24 > the
25 > software and the printer, but what?!?
26 > Note that I have another printer on another computer (acting as a print
27 > server) and I can print on that remote printer, but not on the local
28 > printer!
29 >
30 > lsusb shows the printer, and the usb system works because I can use my
31 > scanner. lsmod shows the lp, parport and parport_pc modules are loaded.
32 > What
33 > could/should I check to get the printing system working? I
34 > don't remember having done anything special when previously installing
35 > Gentoo.
36 >
37 > As usual I am gratefull for any hint to clear my misty brain :)
40 what printer is it?
41 what is the content of /etc/cups/ppd/?
42
43 > Thierry
44 >
45 > --
46 > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
47 > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
48 > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
49 > Frank Zappa
50 > --
51 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
56 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list