From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.10 Nvidia Emerge Failure And Other Stuff
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:35:48
1 Kernel-3.10 has just been released and I quickly grabbed the source
2 and compiled. I usually have no problems with a new kernel but this
3 time there were a few surprises.
4
5 First, there is a new kernel option called "Kernel support for scripts
6 starting with #!." This option seemed applicable only to boot scenarios
7 involving initramfs but unchecking it caused my system to fail to boot.
8 Because this may cause unexpected problems for others, I mention it here.
9
10 Second, the RTC (real time clock) module option, which has been present
11 for a long time as a basic kernel driver, has suddenly disappeared. To
12 get the same functionality, one has to enable the new "PC-style CMOS"
13 RTC driver, and because this builds a module with a different name (rtc-cmos
14 vs. rtc) my custom start-up scripts suddenly were broken. It took a bit
15 of searching to resolve the problem. I suppose that users of udev may
16 not notice the change, but I mention it just in case others may experience
17 something similar.
18
19 However, the main problem for me with kernel-3.20 is that the nvidia-drivers
20 will fail to emerge. Here is the error:
21
22 nvidia-drivers-319.32/work/kernel/nv-i2c.c: In function 'nv_i2c_del_adapter':
23 nv-i2c.c:327:14: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
24
25 When I encountered this failure I expected that a huge outcry of bug reports
26 would ensue, but so far things have been rather quiet. There are only a few
27 postings of this problem with 3.10-rc1 and not much else.
28
29 I should perhaps just patiently wait for the eventual rapid fix, because this
30 error is a real show stopper, but I will make an inquiry nonetheless.
31 Has anyone on the list encountered this error with nvidia and kernel-3.10?
32
33 I hope it is not, again, some strange affliction peculiar to my machine.
34
35 Frank Peters