From: "Sven Köhler" <sven.koehler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Kernel-3.10 Nvidia Emerge Failure And Other Stuff
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:47:16
1 Am 01.07.2013 22:35, schrieb Frank Peters:
2 > When I encountered this failure I expected that a huge outcry of bug reports
3 > would ensue, but so far things have been rather quiet. There are only a few
4 > postings of this problem with 3.10-rc1 and not much else.
5
6 Well, read the messages on the screen when you try to emerge
7 nvidia-drivers. Doesn't it say, that Gentoo only supports the kernels
8 that NVIDIA supports and that you shall not report a bug nvidia-drivers
9 failing?
10
11 > I should perhaps just patiently wait for the eventual rapid fix, because this
12 > error is a real show stopper, but I will make an inquiry nonetheless.
13 > Has anyone on the list encountered this error with nvidia and kernel-3.10?
14
15 My interpretation of this message in the nvidia-drivers ebuild is that
16 the maintainers assume that you switch to nouveau. Nouveau works great
17 for office stuff. But when it comes to gaming I'm hitting a few
18 obstacles. For example, 32bit apps (like wine) are stuck with whatever
19 mesa version is supplied by the emul* packages (mesa 9.0.1 or whatever).
20 It's 2013, and Gentoo still doesn't have proper multilib support in the
21 portage tree. Gentoo is certainly to blame here, but I'd even go further
22 and blame autoconf.
25 Regards,
26 Sven