From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:52:14
1 Allistar posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:05:31 +1200 as excerpted:
2
3 > No, a static layout in xorg.conf. From what I know, the XRANDR extension
4 > doesn't play well with the COMPOSITE extension. Also the XINERAMA
5 > extension doesn't play well with COMPOSITE either. (WHich is why I have
6 > two separate X desktops instead of one by using XINERAMA).
7
8 I've had no problem with RandR and Composite here.
9
10 Xinerama seems to be deprecated, almost. At least I've not used actual
11 xinerama in ages and from what I've read, yes, there are problems (not
12 just with kde, but with X, and between RandR and Xinerama). However, at
13 least with the single-card-multi-output hardware I've seen, xinerama
14 isn't actually necessary to use it, as "pseudo-xinerama" works, and seems
15 to work fine. The first I heard of pseudo-xinerama was with Radeon
16 merged-framebuffer mode, before RandR, but it seems to be an X default,
17 now, no actual Xinerama extension needed.
18
19 But I think xinerama is still needed for actual multiple cards, and with
20 the lower use it's getting these days due to the built-in pseudo-
21 xinerama, it does seem to not be keeping up, or at least, I've read more
22 about problems than about using it problem-free, since RandR.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman