From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 00:10:31
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> posted
2 20090707103623.17cd03be.frank.peters@×××××××.net, excerpted below, on
3 Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:36:23 -0400:
4
5 > After reading through the thread on this list about the benefits of
6 > mounting PORTAGE_TMPDIR as tmpfs, I decided that I will be doing this
7 > mount from now on. My total RAM is 4G, but since I only "emerge world"
8 > about once per week, I can easily set aside temporarily 2G or more for
9 > this purpose.
10 >
11 > However, after doing some more reading, I find that some people
12 > recommend mounting tmpfs using the option nr_inodes=1M, while others
13 > just accept the default value for nr_inodes.
14 >
15 > To me, setting maximum inodes to 1M seems a bit high. Can emerge
16 > actually generate that many temporary files? Would it be safer and also
17 > avoid swapping to set nr_inodes=1M or is the default good enough?.
18
19 FWIW, I've never had the slightest issue with the defaults, and that's
20 running up to 7+ emerges at once, the way portage's auto-scheduler is
21 handling it here, and about that handling it myself based on --tree,
22 before that.
23
24 However, the mount (1) manpage says the default nr_inodes is half the
25 number of physical RAM pages. At a 4k pgsize, that's 1M for 4 gig
26 anyway, and 2M for the 8 gig I'm running, so I /shouldn't/ be running out
27 and should be able to lower it.
28
29 Personally, I'd just go with the default nr_inodes. People with 2 gig or
30 less of real RAM may need to worry about it, especially if they do a lot
31 of parallel makes (tho with 2 gig I'd crimp on parallel makes way more
32 than I do, too, so may not have to, but as I've said before, I'm not sure
33 of the affect at a gig, someone would have to test and see), but with 4
34 gig and a million inodes by default, I think you should be fine.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman