From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:56:06
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Personally, I'd just go with the default nr_inodes. People with 2 gig or
3 > less of real RAM may need to worry about it, especially if they do a lot
4 > of parallel makes (tho with 2 gig I'd crimp on parallel makes way more
5 > than I do, too, so may not have to, but as I've said before, I'm not sure
6 > of the affect at a gig, someone would have to test and see), but with 4
7 > gig and a million inodes by default, I think you should be fine.
10 I only have 2GB of RAM and have no problem with the defaults. I run two
11 parallel merges - I don't think anybody with a computer this old would
12 run more than that anyway.
13
14 I occassionally get swaps, but that is no big deal. In the worst case
15 swapping is no worse than not using tmpfs at all, and in the typical or
16 best cases it is far better. It really is a no-lose scenario. If
17 something leaves junk lying around in /var/tmp then it just gets swapped
18 out and never gets swapped back in - again no worse than if it were
19 written to disk in the first place. Just make sure you have plenty of
20 swap space if your physical RAM is limited.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature