From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 13:51:18
1 On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:55:43 -0400
2 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > I occassionally get swaps, but that is no big deal. In the worst case
6 > swapping is no worse than not using tmpfs at all, and in the typical or
7 > best cases it is far better. It really is a no-lose scenario. If
8 > something leaves junk lying around in /var/tmp then it just gets swapped
9 > out and never gets swapped back in - again no worse than if it were
10 > written to disk in the first place. Just make sure you have plenty of
11 > swap space if your physical RAM is limited.
14 My swap space is set for 8G, and it is also located at about
15 the center of the disk platter, which supposedly will give the
16 fastest I/O performance.
17
18 However, I am not clear on how tmpfs will fail. If the tmpfs mount
19 becomes filled or exceeds the file limit, since it is essentially just
20 another disk partition shouldn't it produce a "No more space left on device"
21 error? Or is the system designed to extend the tmpfs through swapping?
22 The latter option doesn't seem right, but everyone still refers to such
23 behavior.
24
25 Frank Peters