From: dave crane <lists@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 02:19:18
1 I've run _every_ iteration of the "Thunder" Athlon MP, later Opteron
2 boards going all the way back to the very first MP board, and dual P3's
3 before that.
4
5 ALL the tyan AMD boards I've /ever/ bought (at least 50) are still in
6 heavy use, all running Gentoo.
7
8 My newest desktop is the n6650W, and again no issues.
9
10 Specific to you, I just installed a S3992 with 32g (16x2g) ram and 12
11 SAS Drives on a PCI-X card as a postgres machine no problem.
12
13 The Athlon MP boards are slated for replacement only because they
14 require ATX-GES power supplies and they aren't really available anymore,
15 plus in comparison they use alot of juice.
16
17 As Duncan mentioned many "tweaks" are not available with these boards.
18 They are meant to be servers, and as such stability is the rule.
19
20 Many have run multiple sets of CPU's, and the worst failure has been of
21 the CMOS batteries. I've replaced it in the early MP boards at least
22 5-6 times each.
23
24 dave
25 --