From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 00:49:21
1 Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 Pine.LNX.4.64.0705020412370.22431@××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 02 May 2007 04:14:11 -0400:
4
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either the Tyan
8 > Thunder n3600M (S2932) or the
9 > Tyan Thunder n2000M (S3992) motherboards and, of course, gentoo amd64.
10 >
11 > The CPUs would be 2 2xxx opterons.
12
13 No experience with those models, but Tyan is generally one of the better
14 mobo manufacturers in terms of Linux support. I'm running a now older
15 s2885 (dual Opteron 2xx, currently 242s, soon to be upgraded to 290s --
16 Tyan was very good about upgrading their BIOS to support the dual-cores
17 when they came out as well), and have been VERY well pleased with their
18 Linux support.
19
20 Among other things, they had a pre-configured lm_sensors.conf file for my
21 board, and it's certified for several Linux distributions. (These
22 appeared in the shipped manual, not in the PDF on the Tyan site, so while
23 I knew it worked with Linux from my research, the actual certifications
24 were a surprise to me. I'm guessing that's what the blank page in the
25 manual on the site will have in the shipped version, if they've gotten
26 them.) Tyan also has Linux FAQ sheets both in general and for specific
27 boards. Sometimes they have Linux drivers too, but those are usually the
28 proprietaryware versions of stuff like RAID drivers, and I'd recommend
29 using the native Freedomware Linux drivers instead, as it's generally
30 possible to do so. (I'm running kernel software RAID here, rather than
31 their BIOS/software solution, and the kernel solution is more flexible,
32 more widely tested, and more portable should the hardware I'm on fail,
33 all three.)
34
35 One of the the reasons I decided to go with Tyan was that at the time I
36 bought the board (back in late 2003), there were only a very few makers
37 of dual Opteron boards, four I think listed on pricewatch.com. The two
38 that ended up on my short list were MSI and Tyan. Where the Tyan site
39 used standard (and therefore Linux viewable) PDFs for its manuals and
40 some other documentation, and standard zip files to ship its BIOS and
41 other utilities, all I could find on the MSI site were *.exe files
42 (probably self-extracting zips, but there was no way to tell for sure
43 without further investigation and it was enough to get me to drop them
44 from consideration). I emailed MSI too, telling them exactly why I
45 dropped them from consideration. Apparently, it and perhaps the emails
46 of others had an effect, as people have reported since that MSI's
47 downloads are now standard format as well, no more *.exe. Anyway, I made
48 the right decision, as Gentoo/amd64 MSI users have seen more problems (as
49 reported here) than Tyan users, which have seemed pretty happy with their
50 purchases, from what has been reported here anyway.
51
52 At the time I got mine, as I said in late 2003, Tyan's BIOS flash
53 instructions still required MSDOS, but I wrote to them inquiring about
54 using FreeDOS (since I didn't have an MSDOS around by that point, having
55 dumped everything MS). They were generally helpful and supportive but
56 couldn't verify whether FreeDOS would work for flashing or not. It did,
57 and I've used it the couple times since when I needed/wanted to do a
58 BIOS flash. I wrote back verifying that FreeDOS did indeed work, and
59 suggested that they do what I think it's ASUS does, actually ship
60 complete FreeDOS boot images for the purpose of flashing, so folks didn't
61 have to create their own FLASH images, possibly screwing up the image by
63 have or not, but it'd be nice to see them at least mention in their Linux
64 FAQ that some users have reported that FreeDOS works for flashing, as an
65 alternative to using MSDOS. They could do that without testing and
66 without liability. Anyway, if it's not in their instructions, yes,
67 FreeDOS for BIOS flashing seems to work quite well. =8^)
68
69 The single problem I did have wasn't specifically Linux related at all.
70 Their original BIOS didn't support the memory speed adjustments that I
71 had grown accustomed to (and apparently erroneously thought were more or
72 less standard in moderm BIOSs), and for some time I was running generic
73 memory that really wasn't stable at its rated PC3200 (200 MHz DDR to
74 400). A later BIOS update DID include memory speed limiting, and I
75 lowered my memory the speed a single notch, to 183 MHz (DDR to 366,
76 PC3000). My system was rock-stable after that, as a Linux-system should
77 be. At the slower nominal speed I was in fact able to tweak the
78 individual memory latency settings beyond factory settings to bring speed
79 back up somewhat. It just couldn't handle the full 200/400/PC3200
80 nominal speeds. Later I upgraded the memory (now running 8 gig) , and
81 the new memory didn't have the issue at all; I was able to reset the BIOS
82 to full speed. It was thus in fact a problem with the generic memory I
83 had been running, not of the board, but having the additional memory
84 speed tweaking options in the earlier BIOSs would have saved me a LOT of
85 grief. They eventually got them, but I sure could have used them earlier!
86
87 As I said, however, that wasn't Linux related at all. On the Linux
88 front, as I've seen the various issues folks have reported here, I've
89 been VERY glad I bought Tyan, and in fact I'm likely to stay with them in
90 the future, precisely because they DO support Linux, and quite well, at
91 that.
92
93 One thing you may wish to research a bit is the integrated video. You
94 don't mention your intended usage. If your purpose is a no-X server, the
95 integrated PCI-only ATI es1000 should be fine. If you will be running X,
96 it appears the xorg-native radeon driver supports it, based on the output
97 in my xorg log (I've a Radeon 9200 AGP, my board didn't have integrated
98 video). I've no idea what the proprietary ATI fglx driver supports as I
99 won't run proprietary drivers. However, it may be that you'll simply
100 disable it and install a PCI-E card if you want 3D accelerated X.
101 Anyway, it's likely you are simply running it as a no-X (or even
102 headless, serial console redirect) server, in which case the integrated
103 video should be fine.
108 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
111 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list