From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 02:46:46
1 > possible to do so. (I'm running kernel software RAID here, rather than
2 > their BIOS/software solution, and the kernel solution is more flexible,
3 > more widely tested, and more portable should the hardware I'm on fail,
4 > all three.)
5
6 I do run it on all of my other machines. Unfortunately the specific
7 machine that is being upgraded has a 3ware hardware raid controller which
8 got in there much more on a string of bad luck then by design.
9
10 > of others had an effect, as people have reported since that MSI's
11 > downloads are now standard format as well, no more *.exe. Anyway, I made
12 > the right decision, as Gentoo/amd64 MSI users have seen more problems (as
13 > reported here) than Tyan users, which have seemed pretty happy with their
14 > purchases, from what has been reported here anyway.
15
16 Thanks for that :)
17
18 > One thing you may wish to research a bit is the integrated video. You
19 > don't mention your intended usage. If your purpose is a no-X server, the
20 > integrated PCI-only ATI es1000 should be fine.
21
22 I'm going to be adding an AMI Megarac g2 remote access card to the server
23 and I'll be hoping that there won't be any compatibility issues as with
24 the current MSI motherboard.
25
26 The 2 major motives for the upgrade is the increasing use of
27 virtualization on that server, and the Megarac g2 RAC.
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list