From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 05:48:04
1 Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 Pine.LNX.4.64.0705022238430.22431@××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 02 May 2007 22:45:40 -0400:
4
5 > The 2 major motives for the upgrade is the increasing use of
6 > virtualization on that server, and the Megarac g2 RAC.
7
8 <drool> Hardware virtualization is something the 3-digit Opterons don't
9 have, unfortunately, and it'll (hopefully) be several more years before I
10 upgrade mobo again, tho as I said I'm upgrading the CPUs to dual-core
11 pretty quickly now.
12
13 I expect and predict that as hardware virtualization gets more common,
14 the software/chroot level of protection now more or less routine for
15 publicly exposed servers, especially as run on otherwise personal
16 machines, will graduate to hardware virtualized servers, the idea being
17 to make it even /more/ difficult for a compromised process to take over
18 the entire host. That hardware virtualized separation has been the case
19 on "big iron" for some time, and it's nice seeing it finally come down to
20 the consumer level. However, it's a party I won't be joining for at
21 least a few more years, if my hardware holds out, anyway.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list